Want Windows Live Messenger to show up in the notification area:
instead of the taskbar?
The behavior of Messenger on Windows 7 startled me too, but I came to like it. It’s much easier to work with from taskbar than it ever was from “systray” (the nerdy, I-guess-you-had-to-be-there, name for the notification area.)
That said, you can get the old behavior using compatibility mode:
- Click the Windows button and type “Windows Live Messenger” into the search box.
- When the “Windows Live Messenger” icon appears, right-click it and choose “Properties.”
- Click the Compatibility tab, and choose Vista compatibility mode:
- Exit Messenger, and start it again.
An alternative for the screen-size-challenged is to resize the taskbar:
- Right-click anywhere on the taskbar and choose “Properties.”
- Check “Use small icons”